[Sca-cooks] potato dishes for breakfast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 23:09:24 PST 2006

Maire commented:

One of my sincere regrets was not being able to get some good seafood
when I
was in Dublin, but the restaurant I'd wanted to visit was closed for
renovations, and I wasn't there long enough to hunt down another one.
Closest I came to it was eating fish-and-chips on the ferry between
Holyhead
and Dublin.  I did have the most amazing Indian cuisine there, though.
Twice.  <weg> Curry heaven!  And some interesting potato dishes (for
breakfast).
<<<

So what were these potato dishes? I'm not sure I can think of that
many ways to serve potatoes, expecially for breakfast. But then some
folks idea of breakfast foods is much larger than mine. (cold pizza
for breakfact? Yuck. At least microwave it. :-) ). Or were these
Indian potato dishes? That would probably expand the possibilities a
bit.

--Maire, counting the days until she can have dairy again....
<<<

Does that Lenten restriction include cheeses as well? I thought part
of the deal was saving the milk for the calves and such, but cheese
could have been from last year's harvest. Although some of the
fasting seems to be to give a religious reason for giving up
something you don't have anyway. But that would also indicate that
cheeses weren't kept over a year. We know that medieval wines were
often going bad before the next year's crop came in. Do we have any
evidence of any medieval cheeses being kept longer than a year?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com