[Sca-cooks] Chickpea fritters

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 12:57:53 PST 2006

I have a recipe for a dessert fritter made in one Sicilian town for St. Joseph's Day on March 19 (apparently legumes feature very highly in these St. Joseph's Day menus). Boiled and mashed chickpeas are mixed with sugar, almonds, bits of candied citron, and currants (soemtimes bits of bittersweet chocolate are added), enfolded in dough, deep fried, and then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Wondering if there is an antecedent in Middle Eastern/North African, Greek/Mediterranean, or Spanish cooking for these fritters. Since the town is in the Western part of the island near Palermo, the traditionally "Arab" side of the island, I'm wondering if there is a connection. The chickpea filling seems unusual.

Gianotta