[Sca-cooks] Blood oranges, etc.

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Mar 1 21:13:47 PST 2006

Do we have any evidence that blood oranges are period, and if so that
they are period in Europe? Sweet oranges only reach Europe near the
end of our period? A quick web search finds the claim that they are
"most likely the result of a mutation that occurred in 17th century
Sicily."

>Does anyone have any period recipes for Blood oranges?  I picked up
>a couple and would like suggestions for ways to use them.
>
>They changed my day off to Thurs, which is the day our shire meets.
>I decided to use some of that tme to make and bring some period
>recipes to the meeting for tasting.  I'd like to have good period
>recipes to work from and would like to bring things that maybe push
>the boundaries a bit, but not too far.   Food that even fighters
>will try :), but probably haven't seen at a feast before.  And of
>course the object is to show people that period food is delicious!
>
>Something with the blood oranges will be first.. then maybe some sauces.
>
>Ranvaig

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/