[Sca-cooks] Roysonys of courance

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 04:24:33 PST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 11:51 PM, otsisto wrote:

> As I am a bit fog brained right now, so I can't remember the
> source. But you
> can dry fruits if you have the warmth/heat,and air current. You
> don't need
> the sun. So, if there is a hearth perhap there is a place to dry
> them when
> harvested.
> Lyse

As I say, it's possible. It's just a lot more likely in a sunny
climate. The question seems to have morphed from the likelihood of
Raisins of Corinth being,  or not being, red or black currants (note
that Corinth is pretty sunny and warm, and AFAIK, red and black
currants aren't known for growing there) to what is and is not possible.

The trouble with dealing in terms of what is possible in an SCA sense
is that it can sorely tempt us to discount what is most likely, and
then you get into ignoring things like the laws of probability. You
end up betting on the bread landing butter side up because it's
possible, and lose a lot of the time ;-) .

Seriously, though, we can be pretty certain that a period English
recipe calling for raisins of Courance is referring to dried grapes
of the little variety found on some Mediterranean islands like
Corinth and Zante. We also know that, today, modern red and black
currants are, very much for the most part, preserved by juicing and
bottling, by being made into jams and syrups, and tinned. Wet-
processed, generally with sugar, and probably not by coincidence in
climates not known for the sun-drying of foods. None of this makes it
impossible to dry red currants in an oven or on the hearth (you may
be thinking of chick peas and/or malt, BTW), but the whole picture
suggests that the people who live in places where red and black
currants grow consider wet-preserving techniques more practical than
drying, and that, in that context, it is far more likely for a period
recipe calling for raisins of corinth to be referring to dried Zante
currants than red or black ones, even if dried.

Incidentally, it's also worth noting that Scandinavian households dry
fish in the wind, not in a kiln or on the hearth. I assume the heat
would do something undesirable to the fish; I wonder if the same is
true of berries...  caramelization and/or fermentation  of sugars
comes to mind as possibilities.

Adamantius