[Sca-cooks] Iron Chef America, totally OT, OOP and only allowed because it's my list

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 11:30:54 PST 2006

Michael Gunter wrote:
> Has anyone been watching Iron Chef America? I still
> enjoy it but was the Kobe Beef Battle the lamest thing
> they have done? First it's Bobby Flay, so they had to
> figure out something simple verses a chef of little reputation
> or real pedigree.
>
> American Kobe beef is probably the most expensive meat
> in the country and definately the finest beef you can get.
> Beef itself is so versatile that this should be a showcase of
> talents. Instead the good Mr. Flay presents four versions
> of grilled steak. He did a "steak and eggs" with a quail
> egg on top of fried potatoes (didn't he do the same thing
> on some other battle?) and then did an "around the country"
> display of grilled steak. Just like he did with his turkey battle.
> I'm just shocked he didn't make a tamale which he also seems
> to do every battle.
> The challenger wasn't much better but he at least showed
> some variety. With a steak tartare, carpaccio (which is
> starting to become a bit over-trendy), and grilled meats.
>
> Yeah, it all looked like it tasted wonderful but it was just boring.
> And Booby was once again beaten, thankfully. I was shocked
> that they scored even on originality! I think Bobby Flay's next
> competition will be against a frycook from Denny's and Battle
> pre-made Hamburgers.
>
> Mario Battali is still, of course, God.
>
> On a totally unrelated note, Countess Sara gave a gift certificate
> to Baroness Alys and me a dinner for two at The Mansion on Turtle
> Creek!  Wow!
>
> Gunthar

We typically watch Iron Chef America, but, to be honest, we dislike Flay
so much that we make a point of not watching when he's to be the Iron
Chef in the competition...he always does boring work...each dish seems
to be to be a rehash of the same theme..."Look at me, I'm the god of
southwestern cuisine!"  And yes, I do believe I saw him do that dish for
another competition...before we really decided to opt out when he's
doing his thing.

And I agree...Battali is god....

Kiri