[Sca-cooks] Misconceptions about Medieval Medicine

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 16 14:54:48 PST 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 5:25 PM, marilyn traber 011221 wrote:

> Quite an interesting article about Medieval medicine, with quite a
> bit on the
> humors and perceptions of the time. Also, if you substitute "cookery"
> for "medicine" in the first couple of paragraphs, you get an
> interesting
> perspective on how some of us have learned about Medieval thinking.
>

> http://www.strangehorizons.com/2003/20030317/medicine.shtml
>
> Phlip

Anybody wishing (no, I'm not talking about anyone here or the author
of the article, just speaking generally) to poke fun at the
whimsicality of humoral medicine and leeches and such, can at least
discuss the success rate of acupuncture, acupressure, and the vast
amount of herbal and humoral medicine still being practiced, even in
hospitals, in China.

The tendency of some ignorant moderns to dismiss those silly ancients
and their unsophisticated medicine pretty much flies in the face of
the modern medicine of a significant portion of the world.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04