[Sca-cooks]Books, Books, Books

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Thu Mar 23 11:57:35 PST 2006

Volker Bach skrev:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. März 2006 20:28 schrieb Ana L. Valdés:
>

>> Booklist??? Which one?? Have I missed any list?? Please, can someone
>> nice and kind post it to me??
>> Ana, who bought today the Al-Bagdadi cookbook, in despite I don't have
>> any room in my shelves :(
>>

> Congratulations on that purchase, by the way. Is it significantly better than
> the Arberry version?
>
> Giano

I assume that since he says Arberrys version was not a good translation
and he erased all the notes from the margins.
"As the pioneer translator of medieval Arabic recipes, young Arberry
wolved a number of problems presented by this text, but inevitabily he
got things wrong, and in Medieval Arab Cookmery I ventured to correct
his translation on a few points. On closer examination, I have found
many more mistakes, some of them rather shocking. They simple show that
Arberry -like most academics, past and present- was interested in
literature, but not in cookery".
Perry says the problem was that Arberry and all other scholars were
depending on Chelebis transcription of the original manuscript from 1934.
Ana

http://www.crusading.se