[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 24 10:59:18 PST 2006

The best books now on Irish foods are Brid Mahon's Land of Milk and
Honey and
Cowan and  Sexton's Ireland's Traditional Foods which came out in 1997
as part of the Euroterroirs project to identify regional foods.
The latter book says that the traditional ingredients are beef, salt,
and saltpetre. Modern additions include sodium ascorbate.

History wise, the dish goes back to the 11th century where it is
mentioned in the Aislinge meic Conglinne. Mahon also relates this,
calling the work The Vision of Mac Conglinne.
There is a spiced beef which is a corned beef with additional spices
dates back to
at least the 14th century. [Cowan and Sexton say that spices
were imported to Ireland in greater quanities following the Anglo-Norman
invasions of the 12th century.] This is something traditionally made at
home and served at
Christmas. http://www.irelandforvisitors.com/recipes/blbeef.htm
Corned Beef was a major product in the 18th and later centuries where
any beef
not consumed fresh was salted down for later consumption. Cork for
several centuries
was a source of corned beef and ships bound for the Americas and Europe
carried
the product from Ireland. Cork also produced the corned beef that fed the
British Armies during the Napoleonic Wars.

Among the best recipes for home corning that I have found are those
found in Grace Firth's Stillroom Cookery.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis