[Sca-cooks] chocolate health benefits

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 25 14:21:40 PST 2006

I see.  I don't know how someone can be considered to be prejudiced
against chocolate (or whatever your unexplained statement was referring
to), but maybe it's a New Zealand thing. :)

What I was actually *warning* about was the implication that chocolate
was a 'health food' based on the misleading titles (and, I would say,
the first few sentences) of the four articles someone posted.

I stopped by my local co-op this morning and picked up a bar of 90%
organic Ecuadorian chocolate, just for...uh, 'research'...yeah, that's
the ticket.  It's pretty potent and a small square is probably enough to
satisfy someone's chocolate jones.  I'll stick with carob, which I prefer.

Duriel

PS: Here's a fairly exhaustive definition of 'prejudiced', for future
reference (from Wikipedia):

*Prejudice* is, as the name implies, the process of "pre-judging"
something. It implies coming to a judgment on a subject before learning
where the preponderance of evidence actually lies, or forming a judgment
without direct experience. Holding a politically unpopular view is not
in itself prejudice, and politically popular views are not necessarily
free of prejudice. When applied to social groups, prejudice generally
refers to existing biases toward the members of such groups, often based
on social stereotypes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_stereotype>;
and at its most extreme, results in groups being denied benefits and
rights unjustly or, conversely, unfairly showing unwarranted favor
towards others.

This is different than viewpoints accumulated though direct life
experience, which are neither prejudiced, conditioned or necessarily
instinctive: they are not pre-judgments but post-judgments. Some argue
that all politically-based views stem from a lack of sufficient life
experience; this, however, provokes the question of how much life
experience is required before a point of view
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_%28cognitive%29> is no longer
regarded as prejudiced. If no amount of experience entitles a person to
a viewpoint - if every is biased - then there can be no objectivity.
Judgements based on experience may, however, be colored by prejudice.
One might imagine a continuum from "prejudiced" to "based on
experience," with many, if not most, views coming somewhere between the
two extremes.

Fallacious extension of one's own negative past experiences to the
general case can be harmful; it can be termed bias
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias>, or more colloquially
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slang>, "lumping". If a person has
developed the concept that members of one group have certain
characteristics because of a sour past acquaintance with a member of
that group, s/he may presume that all members of the group have such
characteristics. For example, a person who has had a series of bad
relationships with members of the opposite sex may develop a prejudice
against that sex, thus adopting the prejudice known as sexism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism>. This is typical of all prejudice:
racism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism>, linguicism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguicism>, ageism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism>, religious intolerance
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance>, heterosexism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosexism>, prejudice based on
differing political <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics> stances, etc.

In other cases, it may be a matter of early education: people taught
that certain attitudes are the "correct" ones may form opinions without
weighing the evidence on both sides of a given question. Many
prejudicial behaviors are picked up at a young age by children emulating
their elders' ways of thinking and speaking, with no malice intended on
the child's part. The prejudiced adult might even be shocked to hear a
slew of racial slurs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_slur> and
their own half-cocked opinions on various groups echoed back at them
from their children. Early learning is highly influential, however,
prejudice can be learned at any age.

In Jane Austen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Austen>'s novel /Pride
and Prejudice <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_and_Prejudice>/, the
heroine forms a strong opinion of a man's character before she hears his
side of the story. The balance of the facts, when finally made known to
her, challenges and ultimately overturns this prejudice. Prejudice is
also a theme in To Kill a Mockingbird
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudices_in_mockingbird>, in which a man
is wrongly tried and convicted because of his race.

Sociologists have termed prejudice an adaptive
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation> behavior. Biased views are
necessary at times for human survival: we don't always have time to form
a legitimate view about a potential foe before adopting a defensive
stance that could save our lives. Conversely, prejudice is non-adaptive
when it interferes with survival or well-being (e.g., refusing to
patronize the only doctor in a town who could save you because he or she
is black <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American>, or rejecting a
potential friend/partner because of ethnicity).

Differing opinions of what constitutes prejudice can prompt us to
reconsider our views, with an emphasis on self-understanding. Does, for
example, criticizing another person as being prejudiced in itself
sometimes involve pre-judging the very person being criticized? Another
interesting intellectual conundrum is to consider whether deeply-held
spiritual or religious views are also prejudiced, since they are not
necessarily based on direct experience.

There is some confusion between common and legal usages of the term
"prejudice." In law, the phrase "with prejudice" implies a judgment
having been made after the presentation of evidence; it does not imply
any form of bias.