[Sca-cooks] Spices and the Irish Common folk

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 25 16:43:08 PST 2006

You seem to be assuming a subsistence level that, in the 14th Century,
manifested itself only in times of famine or in cases of extreme poverty.
>From an economic standpoint, there was a rising standard of living beginning
in the 13th Century which received a tremendous boost from the bubonic
plague in the 14th Century, concentrating wealth across all classes and
inflating the value of labor.  In fact, between the 14th and 16th Century,
Europe achieved the highest standard of living prior to the 20th Century.

I also doubt that the common man was so lacking in taste buds as to not
differentiate between a vegetable and a seasoning.  Most herbs used for
seasoning are too potent to use in quantity, but a little rosemary or basil
in the porridge or some dill in the rye bread would certainly brighten a
common meal.

Bear