[Sca-cooks] Sources was Spices and the Irish Common folk

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 26 15:50:21 PST 2006

Actually there has been quite a bit of research done
on the foods and foodways of  Ireland through the centuries.
There are literally hundreds of papers on the subject.
Besides the books I mentioned in my original post on this
subject, I would suggest that you purchase and read or
interlibrary loan and read Feast and Famine. A History
of Food and Nutrition in Ireland 1500-1920 by Clarkson and Crawford.
It was printed by Oxford University Press in 2001.
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-822751-5

This is not just a work of the upper classes. It examines the lower classes.
It also discusses what they ate prior to 1500. There are hundreds of
footnotes
included to sources that can be explored on this topic as well.

Another work that you ought to read is Nature in Ireland. The chapter in
that
work that applies to the assertions that you made is by Terence
Reeves-Smith.
It's titled "The Natural History of thr Demesnes." Again there are
footnotes to read
and explore. By the way the author mentions that over 100 herbs and
vegetables are mentioned
in a late 14th century work. It wasn't all cabbages.

It is certainly possible to read about what the Irish actually ate as
opposed to just wildly throwing
"generalizations" about.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
JK Holloway, MSLIS