[Sca-cooks] re:bid deal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 17:37:52 PST 2006

 > Recipes for mice, Anyone?  (couldn't resist....) Berti

Perhaps. Here is a pair of messages from my fd-Mongols-msg file:
=====
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:10:48 -0500
From: "Terri Morgan" <nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org>
Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] Mongol measure?
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

 > I'd love to see this recipe.  Could you post the URL?
 > In the meantime, I bet the "tau" is actually "tou" or
 > about 317 cubic inches.  If you want to checkout some
 > of the weights and mesures for Mongolian cooking,
 > take a look at the Silver Horde website:

http://www.viahistoria.com/SilverHorde/main.html?research/
MostlyMongolianCooking.html

 > Bear

Thanks - that matches what I just told my friend (and I sent him to that
exact websie just now). Here's what he wrote to me:

**********
I saved this as I thought is was cool, but cannot get back to the
website.

" Catch many of the mice of the Hairy Tail (gerbils 1 tan clean), finely
ground coriander (one liang), onions (ten stalks), pices (five ch’ien).
Apply [coriander, onions and spices] uniformly to ingredients and
roast. One
may dress the hairy mice in a thick flour with fuang and steam-roast
until
done in a cage; this is also possible. One may dress the hairy mice with
liquid butter combined with flour, and brazier cook in a brazier;
this is
also possible.”
... “MIce of the Hairy Tail meat is best in fall, when they are fat
for the
long sleep.  It is rich, brown and crackles when fried. It
supplements the
center and augents ch’i. It is beneficial eaten broiled dipped in salt
broth water and roots. Of the white foods best with airag."

Got this from a Iraqi article on a Arabic historian, Ibn Battua. I
ran  it
through the translater program at work as it was written in Persian. The
program did not recognise Tan, Liang, Ch'ien, airag, Fuang. I think
from  my
readings on other sites that "white foods" is a dairy product of some
sort.

********

So my guess that it was a translation problem is probably right.

Thank you, everyone, for the help!
Now if I can just keep my fingers crossed that he won't take me up on
that
offer to help him make kumiss (airag)...

Hrothny