[Sca-cooks] Pasta making and baking with semolina flour

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Mar 27 07:25:56 PST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Christiane wrote:

> I have a question for the bakers on this list. I have a couple of
> pounds of semolina flour acquired from the local Indo-Pak store.

I've used whole-grain durum chapatti flour, in addition to the more
common (around here) Italian-style yellow semolina flour. Is that
what you've got?

> My thought was to try and use it to bake some Southern Italian-
> Sicilian-style breads. Can this type of semolina flour be used for
> this purpose?

Sure.

> The same thing goes with pasta making. Any advice would be
> appreciated! I want to make my husband some ravioli!

My experience (and others' may vary) is that durum semolina, because
the grain is so hard, is difficult to grind really fine, so it can
behave a little oddly compared to other flours. Essentially, it takes
a little while for water to be fully absorbed, and full gluten
development doesn't really occur until the grain is moistened properly.

In general, what this means is you want to make an all-semolina dough
just a touch moister than those made with other flours; where other
recipes advocate adding enough flour to make a smooth, non-sticky
dough, you want your semolina dough to be just a touch sticky, and
you really want to knead the c®@p out of it, at which point it will
begin to acquire a more standard doughy texture. When making bread,
you should notice a dramatic difference in the texture of the dough
between the first and second proofings.

For pasta, the same principal applies: it'll be just a little sticky,
knead it to death, wrap/cover and let it rest a few hours in the
fridge, then knead it again and proceed as for any other pasta.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04