[Sca-cooks] Sows Utter stuffed with Fried Baby Mice.

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Mar 28 03:27:25 PST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 12:32 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Radei mentioned:
>  >>>
> Sows Utter stuffed with Fried Baby Mice.
>
> > Recipes for mice, Anyone?  (couldn't resist....) Berti
> <<<
>
> Oh? Period recipe, please?

The cow's udder part is pretty easy, but I think the stuffing would
be more difficult.

Cow's udder.
For cow's udder which has been well washed and cooked, & put on a
towel so it can rest well, & put it on a spit.  For the udder's
sauce , take two or three pieces of toasted white bread, which are
not burned at all, & take some broth with verjuice to temper the
bread, & mix with four or five egg yolks, & put therein nutmeg,
cinnamon, ginger, saffron, & sugar, & let it boil well together, &
put it on the roasted udder.
[Ouverture de Cuisine]
http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm

I suppose the mice could be skinned, soaked in vinegar to dissolve
the bones (as was done with small birds) and then fried, but I can't
find any recipes to verify.

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)