[Sca-cooks] Using all the fish

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 08:07:10 PST 2006

Sharon Gordon wrote:

>We have a local place where we can get uncleaned fish for about 50% less
>than cleaned fish.  So I am wondering what are some good strategies for
>making maximum use of any edible or good for flavoring part of the fish?
>And I should warn you that I have minimal fish cleaning experience, so
>there's no such thing as overexplaining here :-).

Heh.  You need to watch the Japanese Iron Chef show when they have a
whole-fish theme.  I've learned TONS that way.

I'm not sure how they define "uncleaned" but I'm going to assume, just a
whole dead fish, not scaled nor gutted.

Well, the scales themselves are not really edible but you could clean
them up and use them in art projects I suppose.  Were shiny scales the
original "sequins"?

Bones and fins and such are what you use to make stock.  Fish heads,
boil them up, yum!

Guts, depends on the fish and where it's from.  Many fish livers are
considered a delicacy but in today's atmosphere of pollution, be
careful.  The ubiquitous Roman fish sauce Garum was said to have been
fermented from fish guts;  but they were not contending with mercury
poisoning.

Sounds icky, but you can eat the eyes.  Tastes like the rest of the
fish, only no bones, certainly a bonus!

That's what I can think of from the top of my head.  Later!
Selene C.