Schtick Restaurants -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Pho

Colin MacNachtan dcm at mccr.org
Tue Mar 28 08:12:39 PST 2006

--On Tuesday, March 28, 2006 09:49:40 -0500 "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus
Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> the entry that screams to be  talked about is a place called, I believe,
> The Pinnacle Peak, outside  San Bernardino, CA. I have no idea if they're
> still around, but it  was considered sort of unofficially mandatory to A)
> understand that  neckties were strictly forbidden, and B) to wear the
> most  outrageously trashy tie you could find, because they would then
> have  a little ceremony where they'd snip your tie off with a large pair
> of  tailor's shears, and nail it to the beam above the bar.
>
> As I recall, the menu consisted of the Cowgirl Steak (a T-bone/
> porterhouse that hung over the edge of the plate), the Cowboy Steak  (a
> definite porterhouse that hung off the edge of the table if you  weren't
> careful), a burger for kids, although I STR it was probably  at least 1/2
> a pound of meat, pinto beans, sourdough bread, and some  form of green
> salad. They might have had pies for dessert, but we  never got that far.

There's a chain in Texas called Trail Dust that has a similar schtick.
They'll cut the tie off anyone wearing one.  Their walls are all decorated
with ties, each labelled with date and the person wearing it.

Their main steak is also called 'Cowboy', and is a 24 ounce T-bone.  The
Cowgirl is, I believe, 16 ounce.  They also have bigger steaks.  The side
dishes are all served family style to the table, and include pinto beans,
cole slaw, etc.

Their other claim to fame is their restaurants are all two floors, with a
big slide from the second floor down to the dance floor below.  It's a
great way to keep the kids occupied while you wait for your food.

I know there are Trail Dusts all over Dallas, and I think they have some in
Houston.  I keep hoping they'll open one here in Austin.

Colin MacNachtan