[Sca-cooks] Steel- OT- was Re: WOK this way , etc

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Tue Mar 28 11:49:13 PST 2006

I said:

> >Huh. Mild steel shouldn't be brittle- it can't be- has no carbon (or
minimal)
> >to harden it up (given proper temperature treatment).
>
> So is "mild steel" iron?  You said in a previous e-mail

Yes, it's iron with carbon alloyed into it. The exact definition varies from
person to person, and company to company, but if you're talking mild steel,
you're talking steel with very little carbon in it, say 1001 to 1030 or so,
meaning between 1 and 30 hundredths of a percent. Generally, what's available
will be between 1010 to 1020. Adamantius, for example, got me some mild steel
shim stock, and it was rated as 1010, I think.

> >Iron and steel go through an interesting set of name changes. Iron is iron
> >when it has no carbon in it at all, then becomes steel when it has 1 0r
> >2/100th of a percent carbon in it- it's then rated as 10xx, the xx being
the
> >numbers (from 00 to 99) that indicate how many hundredths of a percent of
> >carbon is in it, for simple steels, meaning they contain only carbon and
iron.

> Or is it something else?  I've got stainless steel and cast iron,
>  and wonder what this mild steel is.
>
> Sandra

Stainless steel is a whole 'nother ball game. nIt was originally alloyed with
chromium, which is what gave it its hardness and stain resistance (when
properly treated), although nowadays, they are many, many "stainless steel"
alloys, some of which have no chromium at all, and very little iron.

Cast iron, as I said, has a very high carbon content, far beyond anything in
the mild to tool steels. Rather than being an absolute definition, the
definitions of steel, as to "mild" or "tool" or whatever are rather like the
informal temperature continuum- ranging from cold, cool, lukewarm, warm, and
hot. When you want to be accurate, when describing simple steel, you get
specific- "This steel is a 1025" just as you might say "The temperature is 25
degrees fahrenheir".

There's more than the 10 scale for determining steel content as well.
Specific alloys will have different number prefixes than 10, depending on
what else is alloyed with them. Manganese, for example would be 13xx, Nickle
alloys are 2xxx, etc. I could write you up a sheet, but that would probably
be a waste of time. If you'd like a good explanation, the most accessible
resource in Jim Hrisoulas' book, "The Master Bladesmith", where he devotes a
chapter to explanations. There are plenty of other sources for the
information of course- I think he has it in his other books as well, but that
one happened to be right next to the computer.

And, in addition, just to screw you up royally, once you think you've got
things figured out, not only will various manufacturers attach proprietary
names to specific alloys, such as W-2, O-6, or L-1. And, to top it off,
advertisers add their own names to things, so if you see something advertised
as a "surgical steel" blade, you're going to think you're getting a high
quality, specific type of steel. Unfortunately, there are quite a number of
alloys used for surgical purposes, and some of tyhem are better, others
worse, for specific applications.

Are you sufficiently confused yet?

;-)

Phlip