[Sca-cooks] Re: Lampascioni

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 29 11:49:38 PST 2006

>> I'm intrigued by the use of them as a food, because they seem to be a
>> delicacy that grew out of poverty and desperation. The Middle Ages in
>> Puglia were a violent, restive time for the people of the countryside.
>>
>> Gianotta
>>

> Would you believe that Molto Mario today was about foods for the feast
> of San Guiseppe form Puglia!
>
> Kiri

That makes some sort of sense, since St. Joseph's Day was March 19.  You
would think they would have scheduled this rerun this a couple of weeks
ago.

Meanwhile, back on topic... if I were going to breed these hyacinth
bulbs from bulbs obtained through the Gardening world, I would probably
give it a year or two of growing, dividing and replanting to get a
couple of generations beyond the store-bought bulbs with
who-knows-what-additives in it.  Just me being cautious.

Selene Colfox