[Sca-cooks] Group Projects: Feast Prep Instructions, Event Kitchen Management, etc

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 14:00:48 PST 2006

Thanks, Jadwiga, I appreciate that.  I still have copies of The Feast
Planner's Handbook, and after I get done teaching Culinary Purchasing
one more time, I'm going to go back and re-vamp it in the money
sections.

Perhaps what we need to do is not make more basic feast documents, but
work on an index of some sort.  If we had an outline, we would see where
we were more than covered (I'm guessing basic feastcratting 101) and
what is not addressed as much, perhaps something like costing out
recipes or menu development  (Hmm, which just happens to be the topic I
started teaching this week...).

Christianna
I'll have some spare time next week - Spring Break for most of my
students - I'll look over your dayboards article then if not before

Well, I think Duriel may be suggesting not that we answer his questions,

but that the group try to work out some (more) documents that could be
posted to the florilegium to give good answers.

I guess I like his idea, but then I'm a writer and a documenter by
nature. We do have a number of different docs in the Florilegium, and
Christianna made an excellent Feast Cook's Handbook as well.

I've got something of the sort started, which I'd like some (more)
feedback on before I send it to the Florilegium:

http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/cooking/dayboards.html

> > How about a few group projects that would help document what needs
> > to be done to prepare a feast and, separately, what is needed to run

> > a kitchen at a multi-meal event?
> >
> >   How to pick recipes, how to shop, how to expand them for 100
> > people, what tools to have in the kitchen, how to plan the cooking,
etc.

> >   Seems like we have an incredible pool of experience here and there

> > should be some SCA-wide documentation to help new feastocrats or
> kitchencrats.
> >
> > Duriel
>
> The topic has been discussed, repeatedly and in great detail, a number
of
> times on the List. Suggest you might want to look at the Florilegium-
Stefan