[Sca-cooks] Knives

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 30 13:21:32 PST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Lawrence Bayne wrote:

> An ulu is only effective if you have a cutting board
> with a depression in it; designed to be useful for
> that reason.
> BB
> YIS
> Lothar

I'd have to say it's more a matter of getting my hand used to the
rocking motion, which is quite different from the sort of flywheel
motion you often find yourself using with a chef's knife.  The boards
with an indentation are good for chopping with an ulu, but there are
plenty of jobs where you not only don't need such a board, but, I
suspect, wouldn't want one.  Skinning and filleting fish come to
mind. But I bet you could make a h**l of a gefilte fish with one of
those scooped-out boards, when you were done with the other jobs ;-)

Adamantius

> --- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <> I also own
> an ulu that I haven't figured out how to use
> effectively yet...

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04