[Sca-cooks] Chickpea fritters

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 30 15:03:44 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 30. März 2006 22:57 schrieb Christiane:
> I have a recipe for a dessert fritter made in one Sicilian town for St.
> Joseph's Day on March 19 (apparently legumes feature very highly in these
> St. Joseph's Day menus). Boiled and mashed chickpeas are mixed with sugar,
> almonds, bits of candied citron, and currants (soemtimes bits of
> bittersweet chocolate are added), enfolded in dough, deep fried, and then
> sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
>
> Wondering if there is an antecedent in Middle Eastern/North African,
> Greek/Mediterranean, or Spanish cooking for these fritters. Since the town
> is in the Western part of the island near Palermo, the traditionally "Arab"
> side of the island, I'm wondering if there is a connection. The chickpea
> filling seems unusual.

Unfortunately I don't have it handy right now, but the Liber de Coquina (Latin
compound MS composed c. 1310) has a recipe for sweet chickpea fritters called
'ganti'. No other ingredients are mentioned, though, just mashed chickpeas,
sugar (and IIRC flour, but I'm not sure about that any more). The second half
(including that reciope) is believed to go back to an eariler vernacular
Southern Italian/Sicilian text.

Giano