[Sca-cooks] Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Mar 31 07:11:30 PST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 3:04 AM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Forwarded by request
>
> ---------------------
>
> Hot off the presses: A new Feudal Gourmet pamphlet!
>
> Researching a medieval Recipe: Condoignac - a Quince Paste from
> Paris, 1393-1394.

I'm curious about something here... is the reference to it being from
Paris based on the fact that there's a recipe for cotignac in Le
Menagier, or is there some more compelling reason? I ask because
today, the city of (I think) Tours claims it as their official
invention, and, French food marketing being what it is, rife with
statements of identity and "it can't be called this if it doesn't
come from here", I assume there's some foundation to that claim.

Can one of our candy geeks shed a little light on this?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04