[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"...was "Potatoes and personal issues"

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sun May 21 05:43:17 PDT 2006

Patrick Levesque <petruvoda at videotron.ca> [2006.05.20] wrote:
> On the other hand, it would have revealed quite fruitless to snort and
> comment about the unnapropriateness of OOP food. Actually, had I done so, I
> would have sounded like a pedantic bore more than anything else...

I also try to avoid being a bore about it, at least in public. There are
so many good, well worked out recipies out there for free on the web
(Master Cariadocs being the main, but I see a steady trickle of hits on
my more modest Swedish language effort[1] as well). We frown on jeans
and t-shirt at events, but the food served appears to be of no concern.
I think what irritates me the most is when newsletters publish blatantly
OOP recipies. They would not publish a howto for "paint a border on your
modern tent to make it period", would they?

> In any case, the ultimate test is whether my almost 3 year old son will eat
> it - this is a pretty good indicator of whether I've succeeded in making a
> good dish or not :-))

Since my children quickly learned that at every meal there are only two
options (eat or not eat), that is no help whatsoever for me. Also, what
I cook at feasts is pretty much highlights of what I cook at home, plus
some desserts (which I very, very seldom cook at home). For them there
is no distinction between normal food and medieval food; they get
mounchelet more often than pizza, and egredouncye about as often as
lasanga. I think the 3-year old has eaten more store bought blackpudding
than malaches, but that is due to laziness and availability (every
grocery store sells black pudding, but only a few sell blood).

UlfR

[1] http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/medcooking/kokbok/

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sex is like a bridge game -- If you have a good hand no partner is needed.