[Sca-cooks] Documentation "Fun"

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun May 21 13:00:55 PDT 2006

At 05:43 AM 5/21/2006, you wrote:

>I think what irritates me the most is when newsletters publish blatantly
>OOP recipies. They would not publish a howto for "paint a border on your
>modern tent to make it period", would they?

*koff*

Actually, they do. I have seen several 'cover or decorate your tent'
articles in various places (including, IIRC, the older editions of the
Known World Handbook). Many people cannot afford a period pavilion, or
don't have one for other reasons, and are glad to find ideas for making
their Coleman cabin tent a little less obvious. I've seen tents with
painted designs, tents with painted covers (my girls did that a couple of
years ago- bought sheets at Goodwill and painted them with scenes from the
Manesse Codex), and the most fun one was a dome tent, with a cover painted
grey to look like rock, with a kids' plastic toy sword sticking out of the
top. Any of these won't 'make a tent period', but the fact that they're
trying to fit in goes a long way for me.

There are other approaches too. I've made several 'pavilions' with a
dayshade frame and new cover (just finished one for a Viscountess friend of
mine). I extend the roof peak and expand the slope on the sides- add a
valance and some fringe and it will 'pass'. I've also been teaching classes
in how to do it, and for many people it is an affordable, approachable way
to add some verisimilitude to their game.

'Lainie