[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 21 14:25:16 PDT 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Ysabeau wrote:

> I can't remember the official name of it right now but it is the 7
> month or
> so long class that someone has to take in order to become Catholic.
> You have
> to attend these classes on a weekly basis and go through a bunch of
> stuff so
> you can eventually become a "Catholic" and get baptized at Easter.
> Kids that
> are born into the Catholic church are baptized as babies and then take
> catechism and go through the sacraments as they get older. It is
> different
> when you want to become a Catholic as an adult...hence the
> "assimilation"
> classes. My apologies if that term offended anyone, my parents are
> used to
> my referencing them as such.

I can only speak for myself, but I doubt if anyone was seriously
offended. I was just curious about it, and it rather sounded as if
you had some very mixed feelings on the subject.

I was baptized as an infant just a few years before Vatican II, but
my son went through something like what you're describing. I suspect
that things vary by diocese.

> As for stepping into the fray, anytime I ask a question it is
> considered an
> invitation to try to bring me back into the fold...being the only
> non-practicing Catholic in a VERY Catholic family is not always fun.

I can imagine. Those in my family who take it seriously consider me a
heretic of some sort (think modified Pellagianism), but since it
comes about as close to my basic belief system as an organized
religion can get, I try to keep up on what I'm supposed to believe,
anyway, even if I don't actually buy all of it ;-). I also try very
hard not to cram my beliefs (my religious ones, anyway) on others.

> Since
> the question was answered satisfactorily, I'll leave it be.

Yes, it really sounded, with all due respect, as if your mother
wouldn't be the only partisan in any discussion you might initiate.
Which is okay, just not really necessary ;-).

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04