[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 21 15:10:01 PDT 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 5:32 PM, Ana Valdes wrote:

> I am raised in a cloister, German nuns from Bavaria are not to joke
> with :(
> One of the nuns was my old aunt, my uncle was professor at the same
> school, all my elder female cousins were raised there.
> My cousin is a bishop in the catholic church.
> I met some of the nuns last year, when I was back for a short visit to
> Montevideo.
> They and my bishop cousin asked me, "Ah, Ana, how about your
> practising catholicism today?".
> I answered them "I am a freelance catholic today :)"
> Ana, defending my right to choose to pick the things from Catholicism
> I want and discard the others

Heretic ;-)

My German nun story concerns my uncle Jim, who could easily have
walked right out of a Damon Runyon story and who, as a young man, was
a dead ringer for James Cagney. One of his many business ventures
over the years was the ownership of a cigar shop and newsstand in New
York's Grand Central Station, and somehow, under circumstances that
never became clear, he had adopted (for lack of a better term) a nun
who had come to Grand Central Station to beg for alms from passersby
(I still occasionally see them doing this, silently praying with a
little tin cup in front of them) to rebuild her convent which had
been destroyed by Allied bombers during the Second World War.

My uncle decided it would be a good idea to inform hundreds of his
friends and business associates (many of whom were Jewish) that
Sister Maria (or whatever her name was) was taking bets on that
afternoon's races at Belmont Park. Some bought the story and gave her
money. Many didn't, thought it was funny, and gave her money. Some
figured, "Hey, how could it possibly hurt to have a little old German
nun praying for me?" (This sentiment was substantially echoed many
years later by New York City mayor Ed Koch, when asked why he was
being so hospitable to a delegation led by Mother Theresa.)

Of course, it then became necessary to smuggle the suitcase
containing the $40,000 US Sister Maria had collected in her capacity
as bookie to the stars back to Germany. Naturally, my uncle _also_
knew all the customs agents by their first names, and hustled the nun
and her suitcase through customs, insisting that Sister spoke no
English and had nothing to declare. "But Mr. Dearing! That is untru-
mphmphmph!" [Hand over nun's mouth.] "Yes, Sister doesn't speak a
woooooord of English..."

Yeah, Uncle Jim probably belonged in jail, but he definitely made the
world a more interesting place.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04