[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Lonnie D. Harvel aoghann at gmail.com
Sun May 21 18:15:57 PDT 2006

On 5/21/06, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> The historian Tertullian tells us that when this doctrine first began
> to be taught in the Middle Ages, that the priests took great care
> that no crumb should fall lest the body of Jesus be hurt, or even
> eaten by a mouse or a dog!

Tertullian was an ecclesiastical writer of the second and third
century probably born in Carthage around 160 CE. I don't imagine he
knew much about doctrinal practices of the Middle Ages. :)

If you would like the Roman Catholic doctrine regarding the presence
of Christ in the Eucharist, I would recommend:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm#3

The Eucharist as a Sacrament:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05584a.htm

Communion under Both Kinds: