[Sca-cooks] Bread and wine in the Catholic church

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Mon May 22 00:15:13 PDT 2006

> What gets me is that they don't teach either in
> Catholic School or RCIA the history of the Great
> Schism and the Major heresies that have shaped
> out Church . .. like the Great Schism
> cross-excommunications and Luthers 99 theses.  Wierd.

Maybe not in your school but they did in mine (St. Mary of the Valley
Academy for Young Women). I was quite unhappy (as a Mormon living in that
school) to find that the first 9 weeks of an 18 week course on Comparative
Christianity was spent studying the formation of the Catholic Church and
then the Great Schisms.

Of course, now, I'm *really* grateful that they did that - it considerably
enhanced my understanding of the development of Protestantism as well as
what the heck was the difference between Russian/Greek Orthodox faiths and
the Roman Catholic one.

And as an aside (food content!) (sort of!), the sisters often let me help
make the wafers for Mass. The scent of the 'baking' can still be brought to
mind.

Hrothny