[Sca-cooks] Bad Cooking at Feasts

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Mon May 22 14:59:10 PDT 2006

At an event I attended a good 10 years ago (yes, this was *that* memorable),
Baron Silver was in charge of the meal - everything was great except, for
some reason, the Savoury Toasted Cheese. He had put someone else in charge
of it... it looked horrible in the pan so he added beer (maybe ale). Then
more butter. Then something else - I don't remember what all got tossed into
that pot but it took two of us to keep the stirring happening as our arms
got tired. The pot was huge and the cheese was getting progressively thicker
and more and more like melted rubber. Finally he just called it quits and
sent it out... by then we were all laughing so hard at what it looked
like/smelled like/ had consistency like that we didn't expect anyone to eat
it. Surprisingly, some folks did.

In the kitchen, we let it cool into chunks, carved them a bit, and played
handball against the back wall with it.

For years, all we had to do was refer to that cheese-goo to get Silver to
grin. What a disaster! (All the rest of the feast was wonderful. We never
did figure out what happened to the cheese.)

Hrothny