[Sca-cooks] Title of an ex-Viceroy

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue May 23 17:12:59 PDT 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Patrick Levesque wrote:

> Just correcting a few things here and there:
>
> The Viceroy and Vicereine of Ostgard (EK) are treated in every other
> fashion, but the name, as landed baron and baroness. Their title
> does not
> give them any special precedence. (As per EK law).

Yes, my error, although in actual substance, they do have precedence
among barons in the Kingdom. I don't know if it's the relative ages
of the baronies, or the longevity of the titulars, but  there they
are on the OOP, at Coronations, at the EK Barons' Dinner at Pennsic
(which tends to become a House Runnymede meeting after the Crown
leaves, anyway), etc. It'll be interesting to see what changes in the
relationship of the office to the rest of the Kingdom's barons when
the office changes hands in September.

> Landed barons and baronesses come, in their own lands, come second
> only to
> the King and Queen. This means that they outrank the Crown Prince and
> Princess (in their own lands). Elsewhere the traditional dance of
> precedence
> applies.
>
> And there are many ways to get a court barony - it is not only for
> retired
> barons and baronesses :-)

Other kingdoms seem to tend to give that Naked Grant... here the
Crowns tend to give Court Baronies for similar service to the Crown
(as distinguished from service to the Kingdom), which may or may not
be accompanied by a grant of arms.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04