[Sca-cooks] On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 23 22:55:23 PDT 2006

Berelinde asked:
  <<< As an addition to that,
maybe people would be willing to share their "no s--- there I was"
Pennsic
cooking stories. I sometimes run a class on kitchenless cooking, and
I was
thiniking about putting together a collection of stories about the
creative
solutions people have found to overcome the unique challenges people
faced
at Pennsic, the ultimate primitive site.>>>

Well, it is often hard to call many Pennsic kitchen's "primitive
sites". SPCA's kitchen has a four burner propane kitchen range with
an oven, as well as a propane powered freezer and running water.
Others, such as Master Chirhart's Blackstar encampment have
electricity. These aren't the only ones. I've seen others, but don't
remember the details or who they were associated with, now. There
appear to be quite a number of groups, especially on the Serengetti
outfitted with modern household sized hot water heaters. Presumably
modified to run on propane. The main purpose of these may be to heat
shower water though. Public hot water showers being rather rare these
days at Pennsic.

However, here are a pair of Florilegium files on kitchenless cooking
and improvised kitchens:
camp-kitchens-msg (29K)  2/12/02    Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
out-fst-safe-msg  (14K)  6/26/05    Cooking outdoor feasts safely.
caldron-cookg-msg  (5K)  5/ 9/02    Cooking foods in a caldron over
an open fire
Camp-Cooking-art   (8K) 12/ 4/00    "Camp Cooking" by Lady Caointiarn.
M-Camp-Cookng-art (11K) 10/ 2/01    "More Camp Cooking" by Lady
Caointiarn.
                                        Some simple one-pot meals.
cook-ovr-fire-msg (54K)  3/ 5/05    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor
feasts.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas