[Sca-cooks] GHHandmaide was Deer Gelding

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 24 15:29:32 PDT 2006

Hello,

... and thanks very much for the information.

You know of course that The GHHandmaid for the Kitchen is already out in
a transcribed edition. It was done in 1992 by Stuart Press.
http://www.caliverbooks.com/general/stewart/tudorfood.htm  lists it as
The Good Huswifes Handmaid for the Kitchen: Edited Stuart Peachey.
A transcription of a general period cookery book with brief glossary.
ISBN.1858040035. 72p. ?7.00.

Yes, but it seems there are some differences between what I am working with
(www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/1594-ghh.htm) and the Peachey edition.
Most are trivial, but it has made for interesting reading. I have had as
much fun researching the background information as in working on the
transcription.

As to gelding deer, the practice is described and appears in

The natural history of Lancashire, Cheshire, and the Peak in Derbyshire.
The author is Leigh, Charles, 1662-1701?
Oxford : Printed for the author, , 1700.
I thought it was interesting that he mentioned Papin's New Digester.

Johnnae

This being a case in point. I guess I have added too many artificial
categories to my mind, but I would not have applied an animal husbandry
technique used on domesticated animals to a wild herd. It's a bit silly in
retrospect.

Thanks,

Guillaume
*******