[Sca-cooks] Cress sandwiches

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Wed May 24 21:14:20 PDT 2006

Giano wrote:

>actually, I bought cress seeds at the local supermarket for a lark and tossed
>them in a pot next to my catnip, pennyroyal and rue, and they're growing
>nicely. Which is kind of embarrassing since I have no idea what I'm supposed
>to do with them. Does the green stuff go on sandwiches? Do I put it in salad?
>Are there some kinds of gourmet recipe I've never heard of?

<<<

Well, here is the recipe we used for the watercress sandwiches we served
at our tea party last week.  It comes from a little book called "The
Charms Of Tea."

*Watercress Sandwiches *
1/2 cup watercress
1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 tbs chives, chopped

  Chop the watercress and parsley together until fine. Blend herbs with
butter, cream cheese and chives. Spread on bread, and make into
sandwiches. Remove crusts and slice diagonally into quarters.

We spread a thin layer of the filling on each of the two slices of
bread, and added a thin layer of watercress between them.  They were
very tasty.  The recipe made four full-sized sandwiches, which we cut
into quarters to make 16 tea sandwiches.

Arwen
Outlands