[Sca-cooks] Primitive camping was Re: On-line Pennsic Pity Party

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 25 05:08:51 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

> Oddly enough, or perhaps not so oddly, the mundane family camping I did as
> child was a LOT more "primitive" than any SCA camping I've ever done.
> Tents? We have tents? this is good! and a coleman stove? doubly good!
> --maire

Yeah. I seem to remember living in tents and cabins all summer- no electric
or water except in the bath houses, which were a bit of a walk. When we went
"camping", we had sleeping bags, matches and a canteen and a mess kit, with
food divied up betweeen us. Driftwood made a decent fire. One time we were
lucky enough to "camp" in luxury- someone had thrown a tarp and a rope on
board the boat which took us to the island.

And for our 50 mile hike around San Juan Island, it was 2 to a single
sleeping bag, to save weight.