[Sca-cooks] Primitive Camping? (waxing longish and wandering OT)

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Thu May 25 10:42:47 PDT 2006

OH ... I thought we were discussing primitive camp sites ...

For Primitive camping, look to the Wild Land Fire Fighters.  As another very
cool part of my very cool job, they let me play wild land fire fighter.  For
those who play front line (initial attack), one has a coyote bag (possibly a
local term).  The contents include two MREs, two quarts of drinking water, a
flash light and anything else that would make the fire fighter happy (mine
also has a chainsaw sharpening set and a fire-weather kit) so long as the
whole comes in under 45 lbs (yes … THIS is the reason I am required to walk
three miles in forty-five minutes, with a 45 lb pack).  The coyote bag is a
smallish, soft-side backpack, and should contain everything needed sustain a
firefighter for 24 hours without additional support.

Additionally, there is the redbag.  The redbag is a duffle bag, and it is
(with blinding originality) red.  It can contain ANYTHING the fire fighter
wants to put in it, and I have seen some really obese redbags. Mine has a
sleeping bag, a two man quickset tent, a roll of foam egg-crate, a tarp,
two changes of clothes, seven changes of undies and socks, a pair of comfy
tennies, a pair of gym shorts and a t-shirt that says ARMY, a bottle of
shampoo, a hairbrush and a handful elastic hair ties.  The contents of the
redbag are what a fire fighter might need for an extended stay (21 days) in
a fire camp.

In fire camp, meals are provided by the host agency (3000 calories per meal)
(SEE … a cooking Reference!), and we get camp rate per diem ( two dollars
thirty three cents a day).  Most of the line fire fighters make GS03 – GS05
wages, ($6.50 – $8.50 an hour.  Nope, they don’t do it for the money.

Why do they do it?  For the adrenaline;  Plain, Pure and Simple.  If you
think Heavy Weapons fighters are adrenaline junkies … talk to your friendly
neighborhood wild land fire fighter.  Makes Duke so-and-so look like a
milk-sop.

Now, for those who don’t know me … I am an old woman.  I am at least twice
the age of most of the fire babies we have.  I work wild land fire, but I am
a Resource Advisor, Fire Archaeologist, and also can work as Sawyer, a Time
Keeper, a Driver, or on a Hand Crew or Engine if needed.  I only go out on
fires in my Zone.

My reasons are somewhat different.  I do it because I have a resource that I
am responsible to the American People to protect.  I am just not comfortable
trusting anyone else to make decisions regarding fire that happens in my
Campgrounds, my Recreation Sites and my Wilderness Study Areas.  I am NOT
comfortable trusting anyone else to make decisions regarding my Petroglyphs,
Pictographs, Cave Shelters, Cairns and other Sacred Sites.  OK … the rush is
nice too.

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Cynicism is not realistic or tough - it is unrealistic and kind of cowardly,
because it means you don't have to try ... Peggy Noonan