[Sca-cooks] OT Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 25 22:09:03 PDT 2006

<<< I dunno...I'd think that with the right sleeping partner, that
might be kind
of enjoyable....
-M/a/i/r/e/....uh, Lainie, yeah, that's right... >>>

Well, yes. If you are about the same weight and the night is cool.

However, that was one of the reasons I retired my double rope bed for
a double platform bed, both topped with air mattresses a number years
ago. I never could get the thing to stay tight and what's the good of
having a double sized bed if you both end up squeezed together in the
center. The platform bed is also quieter.  Master Cariadoc did find a
late period rope bed design that might solve the problem of
tensioning the rope and might not need to be rewoven each event. That
info is in by beds-msg file. If I were making another rope bed, I
would strongly consider using that design as the starting point.

I've not had a problem with the air mattress, even on the platform
bed, other than having my butt hit the platform when my wife gets up
at 4 am so she can do the early morning privy patrol at Gulf Wars. I
probably just needed to put more air in the air mattress.

I do however use an air mattress which is only three inches thick
since I chose one made with rubberized cloth instead of the thin
vinyl stuff.  In 16 years this is only my second air mattress.
However, these thick air mattresses which you've been discussing
sound tempting. So long as I don't have to blow it up by mouth. :-)

For more on beds:
beds-msg         (143K)  1/10/01    Medieval and SCA beds. rope and
slat beds.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HOME/beds-msg.html

Stefan
--------