SC - Recipes: King Arthur's Tea pancakes

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

> -Poster:<Elysant at aol.com>
> I see that some of the sources for your recipes are from North Wales, as well
> as some from the South - where I'm from.  It is extremely fascinating to me
> to see the variations in the traditional recipes from region to region and
> how they either have different ingredients, or are much the same in the
> different parts of the country.

The cook book sometimes lists "north" and "South" variations for the same
food.  Is there some political/cultural/religious split between north and
south Wales that's being accommodated?  When I bought the book back in
1979, I assumed the Welsh National Museum was just trying to save all the
tidbits of culture before they disappeared. It never occurred to me to
actually look up these districts on a map.

> In our part of the country we also make pancakes (which we call Ffrois rather
> than Crempog) on Shrove Tuesday, (and other days too) but instead of
> spreading them with butter and cutting them up into quarters, which I know
> the books state is the "old way," we sprinkle them with lemon juice and sugar
> and roll them up to serve them.

The book actually has a pancake:county name chart:

name        plural        county
cramwythen, cramoth       parts of Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan
crempog,    crempogau     the counties of North Wales, generally
ffroesen,   ffroes        parts of Glamorgan
poncagen,   poncagau      parts of Cardiganshire
pancogen,   pancocs       parts of Pembrokeshire
pancosen,   pancos        parts of Carmarthenshire & Cardiganshire

> Incidentally, another local tradition we have is to add a teaspoon or so of
> newly fallen snow into the batter to make the pancakes lighter.  I wonder if
> there are any other recipes that use snow as an ingredient...

The book actually lists a "Ffroes Eira" variation: substitute 1 cup snow
for the milk in the crempog recipe.

When I'm re-reading the book tonight, I'll keep my eye out for other snow
recipes.

YIS,

Ariann