No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

Since the last time I was going over food with my camp mates I came upon
an entire section of On Right Pleasure practically devoted to fritters.
The directions for these are fairly easy to follow and I only have real
questions about a few.

(If my campmates, who should be getting this message, have a question
about fritters for the menu, I will type up more of the recipes
privately, otherwise we can talk on Wednesday.)

IX 4 Fritters with Sour Milk

Make sour milk pass through a fine strainer.  Mix the whey which is
pressed out with meal, egg whites, sugar, and rose water.  When it has
been mixed with a spoon, drop little by little into a pan boiling with
fat or butter.  These damage the nerves or eyes.

  Pennsic has an abundance of fresh milk, this means that getting
  soured milk is not too difficult a proposition.  How does one sour
  milk safely?  Can one sour milk safely in a camping environment?
  If the safety of the soured milk is unknown will cooking the end
  product get rid of any bad things?

IX 10 Elderberry Fritters for Lent

Pass crushed almonds or pine nuts which have been soaked in rose water
or pea juice through a sieve into a bowl.  Put in a little leavening
with elder flowers, as much coarse flour as is needed, and mix.  This
mixture, which you are going to use in the morning, ought to be prepared
entirely at night so that the fritters may be spongier.  Some put in a
little sugar in the morning and fry them however they wish.  They are
though to be useful in taking away burning of the urine.

  Other than yeast, what types of leavening did they have that could
  have been put in with the elder flowers?

  At first I got the impression that this entire section was dinner
  foods despite the fact that many of them correlate to modern
  breakfast foods.  Judging by the instructions to eat in the
  morning, this recipe is a breakfast food.  Is it safe to assume
  that the other fritter and fried egg recipes in this section are
  valid 15th c Italian breakfast foods?