No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

recipe you like. Substitute pear juice for the apple juice.

However, I spent the weekend in the kitchen making pear compote.

Core pears and dice - big or small depending on your desired texture and the
mouth size of your canning jars. Simmer with sugar and lemon juice (For a
standard saucepan (holds two cups? Maybe three? call it three), I use just
under two cups of sugar and the juice of one lemon) until softened and
syrupy, add nuts, tump into cans and seal. I love this recipe for several
reasons- the most important being that it doesn't require hot water
processing - if the jars don't "pop" just store them in the fridge and use
soon. It's infinitely variable - I did three batches, the first with refined
sugar, lemon juice, and walnuts, the second with honey, lemon zest, and
cinnamon, (because what I thought was a backup bag of sugar in the pantry
was in fact a bag of flour and I don't stop for grocery runs when I'm in the
middle of something) and the third with a quarter cup of brown sugar,
peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves. That one was nummy enough that I'm tempted to
write it down to duplicate in the future.  It's also low fuss - no peeling,
no juicing, nary a strainer or sieve in sight.

I have no clue as to the original recipe. It's a mix of several old
cookbooks and a few failures on my part.

Though I'll probably behave myself and pull out the peeler for the rest of
the pears for pear butter.

Lann