No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

5 Oranges (we used Temple, you should make sure not to get Naval)

5 Apples (we used Gala, but need to find one with more pectin)

150 ml water

A large amount of sugar

Wash the Oranges very well in hot water. Commercial orange growers wax thei=
oranges for protection and to make them look shiny & lovely, if you leave
the wax on the oranges it will ruin your marmalade. Peel, core and seed
apples, then place in large stainless pot. Place a large strainer over the
pot and quarter the oranges over the strainer. Remove the seeds and then
squeeze into pot. Place all of the orange, except the seeds, in with the
apples. Add 150 ml of water to the pot and then bring it all to a gentle
simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour (or until the apples are squishy and th=
orange peel is very soft), stirring to prevent sticking.

Pick out the orange peels and remove the pulp from the peel. Pick out the
apples and leave the juice in the pot. Place the apple and orange pulp into
a blender and blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture through a strainer
into a bowl, then pour juice out of pot into bowl, stir well. Weigh the pul=
mixture and return it to the cooking pot. Add an equal weight of sugar and
stir over low heat. Stir until all of the sugar has been dissolved (if you
run your spoon along the bottom or sides of the pot and feel graininess -
keep stirring).

Theoretically the marmalade will set up into a very stiff paste that can be
turned out onto a surface and then formed into a block. Our apples did not
have enough pectin to set up, so we added Sure-Jell=AE. We used =BD a packe=
t of
Sure-Jell=AE per batch, stir it in until dissolved and then bring the
marmalade to a vigorous boil. Boil for exactly one minute and then take off
of heat. Pour marmalade into greased pans to create freestanding blocks. Fo=
good, non-period, storage this can also be poured into canning jars.

---