No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

1-the island of Cyprus
2-the cypress tree, Cupressus sempervirens
3-the wood of this tree, sometimes used as incense
4-a number of related shrubs
5-several types of cloth imported from Cyprus
6-cloth of gold or other valuable material
etc.
Sugar is not mentioned as one of the definitions.

Cypre is also an obsolete name for the henna plant, Lawsonia alba or L.
incrmis. (sp?)

What the OED does mention is that Cypress was a corruption of the Latin
cyperus or cyperos, meaning Sweet cyprus or galingale. They give this
particular recipe (vyaund de cyprys bastarde) as an example, but I think
they're mistaken. Harl 279 #84 is for Vyaunde de ciprys Ryalle & contains
no galingale. Other recipes for vyande de cyprys, some with meat, some with
fish, do not contain galingale.  I think cyprys refers to the island,
Cyprus, from whence rare & exotic things came. So naming a recipe after
such a place would lend a certain mystery & specialness to the dish.=8A

Hieatt & Butler in Curye on Inglysch, say (p. 178):
"cypre adj. 'of Cyprus', whence a great deal of sugar was imported; the
word always occurs here in conjunction with sugar or indicating a notably
sweetened dish...""

Don't believe anything Samuel Pegge says in Forme of Cury without
independent confirmation.

HTH,

Cindy