No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

different.  The Italian dialect used is a lot harder
to fathom than the Roman one used in Scappi.
But taking the first one:
Gathering/convention of the Archpiscopal (archbishop?)
of Benevento
1) scented water to the hands
2) capons with sugar and cinnamon
   offal (probably liver) with parsley and spices
3) Pastries of sweetbreads with capon flesh (pulp)
   Pastries of capons in pieces, one per pastry,
   with thrush
4) A pheasant in catalan style
5) Partridge in larded broth, one per person
   Jelly
6) Peacock, one per plate with celery
   vermicellis of head of milk (basically cheese
passed
   through a syringe so it looks like vermicelli)
   Sauce/flavor of peacock
   Dressed pheasant
   White Dish (Blanc mange)
7) Two capons per plate with pomegranate
   salted (scully indicates this should be taken to
   indicate the next dishes)
   Salted pork loin, one
   Ham (prescuitto), one
   Sausage, two, gilded (?) sage and rosemary
   Tongues, two

If this is the order that dishes are served it is a
little different from that seen in the other menus I
translated where the first service is predominated by
liver, sausages, and cold roasted meats, biscotti and
salads, the second service is boiled and roasted meats
and the third service is sweet fruit pies, cheese,
fruit and chestnuts (but I only translated Dec.
menus).

I will leave the service in spain to those like
Brighid who are far more knowledgeable in that area.

Thanks for the nice comments about the feast, I'm
blushing.

Helewyse

Hi,
I'm having a little trouble working out what order a
menu from  renaissance Spain would follow- would it be
follow the "standard" European service  from
Redon et al (service, pottage, roast, entremet,
dessert, issue/banquette),
or would it be closer to the Italian menus given in
Santich or Scully?
(Btw does anyone have the ones from Scully in
translation?) Anyone have any sources or know how this
works?

Giles