No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

Unless you know you like the fat, don't keep it or cook with it, supposing
you find a fat deer- it's a very strong taste, and most people don't like
it.

With the dear heart, I'd parboil it, open it up, stuff it with a Wild Rice
mixture (Uncle Ben's is particularly good for this) mixed with some chopped
onuions and mushrooms, then hold it together with toothpicks and string and
bake it for about an hour at 350. To serve, slice thinly, with more stuffing
on the side, and a spinach salad.

The liver can be treated pretty much as you'd treat any liver- don't
overcook it.

Steaks are at their best, pan-fried with nothing more than salt or pepper.
They also take well to being done as a baked steak, but because the meat is
so lean, you need added oil or water to keep them tender. A quick saute,
medium rare, is my preference.

Roasts are best with some form of wet cooking- braising, for example. They
can be dry roasted, but you need to lard them and/or bard them- again, very
lean meat.

Burger makes an excellent meat loaf if you use mayonaisse as the binder-
something about that combination of fats with the lean meat really works
well.

Random chunks make a very nice stew, just as you'd make any stew. Carrots
and celery are particularly compatible, as are onions.

As far as spices, simple is best. Venison doesn't really take well to the
sweet spices, but basic salt and pepper, with perhaps juniper berries and
rosemary is a good combination. I like a dusting of sage, too, but more than
just a bit gets too overpowering.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,