No subject

Sun May 28 20:04:55 PDT 2006

Italian Millet
This is one of the best known cereals in Italy, and is almost exactly the same as millet except that the heads are
tightly packed with racemes and full of vast numbers of little, round, hairy grains. There is a wild variety which is
eaten only by the birds. The domestic kind is cold and dry by nature and not very nutritious. In the opinion of Galen,
its benefits and disadvantages are the same as those as millet.

Millet
Owing to its nourishing qualities, millet thickens the blood, is good for the stomach, and quenches thirst, particularly
if it is boiled in water. It is harmful to weak intestines and for this reason it should be well cooked and served with
almond oil and sugar. Some believe it is less harmful if cooked with milk or with honey, or cooked in broth and served
with good spices. But millet should be reserved for those with strong stomachs. Discordes mentions it only briefly, but
manages to include this most useful cure: roast the millet and while still hot put it into a bag and apply to the body
to relieve pain.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

> Vicente> Michael just asked me about consumption of millet; apparently analysis of bones is turning up certain trace
elements that only appear when millet is part of the diet.