[Sca-cooks] Rust removal

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon May 1 14:28:02 PDT 2006

STUPENDOUS!  I did a google search for rust removal and Mr. Wizard . . . .
found this website from a guy who does the same thing with old tools.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/workshop/electrolysis.php

The negative (black) goes to the "keeper" piece and the positive (red) goes
to the sacrificial scrap piece.  He added some baking sode as a catalyst to
speed up his electrolysis.  The following link has better description; boh
have pictures.  This one uses "washing soda" which you can find in most
markets.  Arm and Hammer is usually unscented and plain.

https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/electrolysis/electrolysis.htm

Use salt water, washing soda (sodium carbonate . . . NOT baking soda) and a
piece of wrinkled aluminum foil to clean silver pieces.  Immerse all and put
silver in touch with the foil . . . no electrodes needed.  Silver Plate
isn't so helpful, but sterling cleans with zero effort.

nioccolo difrancesco