[Sca-cooks] Rust removal

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue May 2 10:20:33 PDT 2006

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> If it turns out that the rust is very penetrating and you soak it in
> rust remover, you might just make your pan useless. I think it's worth
> getting a good idea of just how bad it is before you destroy it.

Well, worst case scenario, I'll have a goodly hunk of cast iron to use
for that electrolysis de-rusting of future items, eh?

> I'd clean the pan first in some simple "non-invasive" "non-toxic" way
> - wash, scrubbing with an abrasive cleanser, dry, then do the "Crisco"
> wipe, then dry well.
>
> At that point take a look at it to assess its condition. It may turn
> out that with a decent cleaning - without wire brushes and power tools
> - your pan is almost ok.
>
> But in any case, you'll know the next best step to take to finish the
> cleaning process.

I'll try this when I'm feeling a bit firmer and the cuts I oopsed on my
fingers last weekend heal up.  Just too hot and tired at a tourney day
and the new pocket knife turned out to be Really Sharp.  Sigh.

Drak.... er, Selene