[Sca-cooks] New Poultry Recommendations

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 3 21:01:28 PDT 2006

Our local food section carried information today on
the USDA modifying the rec. temperatures for cooking poultry.
Checked the website at
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Poultry_Preparation_Fact_Sheets/index.asp
Poultry Cooking Temperatures: FSIS is in the process of updating all the
pages on its Web site to reflect new cooking recommendations for
poultry. For safety, when cooking poultry, use a food thermometer to
check the internal temperature. Poultry should reach a safe minimum
internal temperature of 165 °F throughout the product.

If we check back in a couple weeks, we ought to be able to get the new
printed materials.
(There's lots more updates  and interesting information at
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/ )

Johnnae