[Sca-cooks] Re: Luncheon Question (Martha Oser)

elisabetta at klotz.org elisabetta at klotz.org
Thu May 4 12:00:31 PDT 2006

When you ask for "tavern" foods, is this foods you eat with your hands, or
actual foods eaten in the taverns and by the lower classes?

We have a tavern event every year, I cooked it the years it had a
Scottish theme
and a Persian/Syrian theme. (the place and time change, but it is always a
tavern with simple fare).

Scottish: I made small meat pies, soups, larger pies (steak and mushroom,
chicken, leek and cheese) and Scotch eggs (hard-boiled eggs wrapped in sausage
and deep fried).

Persian/Syrian: I forget the names, but there was a hard-boiled egg wrapped in
rice and beef (cooked in the oven), a lemon chicken with pasta (and spices)
(this was a kid favorite), a fish in garlic and bitter orange sauce, a hot
lentil dish, Turkish coffee and yummy nuts balls for dessert.

The dayboard this year at Mudthaw was all meatpies (the dayboard cooks only
wanted foods you could eat with your hands). There was a beef, a spinach and
cheese and an apple version; all were made with pizza dough and fit in your
hand. These were very well received and very tasty.

I have found that small pies work very well, as well as things like
scotch eggs.
I did miss one event that had shish-ka-bobs and everyone was raving about them
(people like food on a stick).

:)
Elisabetta