[Sca-cooks] Re: Luncheon Question (Martha Oser)

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 13:05:01 PDT 2006

in re: "Scotch eggs" --

First I have to say "YUM!"

Second, while I believe these have been discussed before on-list, I don't
recall all of the feedback / comments.
 Importantly:
with/without sauces (mustard sauce in particular)?

historical antecedents / variations / close "cousins"?
    (Scot's "interpretation" seems to be post-1600?)
    ("cousins" are other foods where ground/forcemeat is wrapped around
another food before cooking the combo)

bake / pan-fry vs. deep fry?

Thirdly, I have enjoyed a "Mediterranean" relative of kabob and gyros that
was served in pieces about the length and thickness of my thumb, or possibly
forefinger (roughly 3/4 to 1 inch diameter and 4 to 6 inches long), which
appeared to be almost a case-less sausage but had meat ground about half-way
between "hamburger" and "pate" in consistency.  (Spicing was relatively
mild, peppery but very light amount of black pepper, no sage, etc.; highly
reminiscent of gyro-meat, but less black pepper).  While not on
skewers/sticks, it could have been.  Easily adaptable to pseudo-"wrap" /
"breakfast burrito" OR serving in pita pocket with lightly seasoned rice or
other accompaniment.

Lastly (for this message), I will repeat myself:  Scotch eggs, YUM! (but
only if the recipient enjoys boiled eggs)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em  |   Buy my writings!:
http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen