Home made hot sauce- was Re: [Sca-cooks] re:long peppers, etc.

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Tue May 9 10:22:35 PDT 2006

> So, is that stuff any good?

Yes, it is ;-)

> What I had done was describe to Phlip what I had done with an odd
> assortment of fresh chiles I had on hand: some ripe jalapenos, some
> Scotch Bonnets, and some weird African ones whose name escapes me:
> they look something like chocolate jalapenos, but taste different
> and  are much hotter.

I used an assortment I had picked up from the grocery store- some jalepenos,
a couple habeneros, some serranos, and a couple others.

> Basically I followed what my understanding was for the process of
> making Tabasco: the peppers sliced, salted and fermented/pickled in
> their own brine, then pureed with vinegar and aged a bit before use.
>  The primary difference seems to be that the peppers aren't cayenne,
>  and this stuff is not aged for several months to a year in wooden kegs.
>
> What I've got is a nice, predictable, quite hot, generic Hot Sauce
> that is a little thicker and hotter than Tabasco, but fairly similar
>  in tanginess and overall flavor. More than one person has suggested
>  it would be great on scrambled eggs... I have not yet tried it in a
>  Bloody Mary ;-).
>
> Adamantius

In my case, they came out a little too salty- I think I used too much salt in
the initial fermentation. And, as I told you, I used balsamic vinegar, rather
than plain cider. One of my objections to most commercial pepper sauce blends
has been that they're too vinegary, which is why my usual preference is for
the original tabasco sauce, which isn't.

I'm going to do it again, when this batch gets closer to the end, and the
changes I'll make will include less salt ;-), and probably, if I can find
some, the addition of chipotles at the blending stage. I'll keep the balsamic
vinegar. It adds a nice richness to the blend, without that too vinegary bite
I dislike.

It's good stuff as it is, but being a cook, I'm thinking I can make it
better ;-)

Bloody Mary sounds good- wonder if R&M have any vodka?

Phlip